World number one Caroline Wozniacki cruised into the fourth round of the Australian Open with a straight-sets win over Romania’s Monica Niculescu on Friday.
Wozniacki was in superb form as she downed the world’s 32nd ranked player 6-2, 6-2.
In contrast to her second-round match where she was severely tested by Georgia’s Anna Tatishvili, Wozniacki took control against Niculescu from the outset and never relented.
Caroline Wozniacki wins third Round match at Australian Open But the 21-year-old broke straight back to win an entertaining match and move into the fourth round without dropping a set so far.
“There’s not too much rhythm playing against Monica,” Wozniacki said. “She slices the ball from both sides, she can play high and she can play aggressive.
“You need to be fast on your feet to win the points because she’s so fast.”
The win keeps alive Wozniacki’s hopes of winning her first grand slam title and means she stays in contention to retain her world number one ranking, a position she has occupied for 67 of the last 68 weeks.
More Sports Updates
- » Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova Sony Open Final Live Match 2013
- » China's Li Na Vs Victoria Azarenka Women Final Live Score Highlights Australia Open 2013
- » Elena Vesnina wins first WTA Tennis title 2013 in Hobart
- » Hsieh beat Robson won WTA Guangzhou Open final title
- » Laura Robson vs Sorana Cirstea Semi Final Live Score WTA Guangzhou Open 2012