David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko Boxing fight | Haye vs Wladimir
David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko Boxing fight: IBF and WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko says his highly anticipated fight against British challenger David Haye has been sealed. A day after withdrawing from a fight against another Briton, Derek Chisora, Klitschko revealed that he would fight Haye, the WBA champion. “I am really pleased we have closed a deal on this fight,” Klitschko told the German Welt am Sonntag newspaper.
Klitschko’s manager, Bernd Boente, told the paper the fight could take place in Germany on June 25 or July 2. “We have a deal. We’re happy with it, they’re happy with it,” Haye’s manager and trainer Adam Booth told Sky Sports.
“They didn’t want to come to the UK for a couple of reasons. David is happy to go anywhere to fight Wladimir; he doesn’t care if it’s in his back garden. David is raring to go.” The 30-year-old Haye, who plans to retire in October, said, “I always believed we’d one day fight. I’m glad we’ve cut through the nonsense and put together the most important fight in the heavyweight division.”
“This is the match the boxing world has been calling for since I first decided to step into the heavyweight division. I feel it is my destiny to fight and beat Wladimir Klitschko. “We are the two best heavyweights in the world and it would have been a travesty for us to have never fought.”
The Haye camp said the deal, which will unify three of the four belts in the division, was struck with Klitschko on Friday.
“Klitschko is ready-made for me. I eat tall, chinny Eastern European heavyweights for breakfast,” Haye said. “Wladimir is a fighter that doesn’t like to fight.” Haye won the WBA belt by defeating giant Russian Nikolay Valuev in November 2009 and has since defended his title twice. “The terms were right; it’s a fair deal; a 50-50 split,” Haye said. “That’s what they wanted and that’s what I wanted.”
CHISORA FIGHT CANCELLED
On Saturday, the Ukrainian pulled out of a planned title defence against Derek Chisora on April 30 after failing to recover from a torn abdominal muscle.
Boente said the fight against Haye could take place at one of three football stadiums – Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen or Kaiserslautern. Negotiations to put on the fight have collapsed several times. A back injury forced Haye, the WBA champion, to withdraw from a fight in 2009. Haye has said he would like to fight the older Klitschko brother, Vitali, before retiring. Vitali is scheduled to defendd his WBC heavyweight title against Odlanier Solis in Cologne, Germany, on March 19. Wladimir, who also holds the IBO belt, was due to defend his titles against the British challenger in Mannheim, Germany, on April 30.
INJURED IN TRAINING
The 34-year-old Ukrainian, who is based in Germany, was hurt while training to fight Chisora, the British and Commonwealth champion, on December 11 last year.
The bout was rescheduled for April 30 but Klitschko’s doctor said on Saturday the fight was off. Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt said, “At present the exact timeframe for recovery is difficult to predict. A fight in April would be too great a risk.”
Klitschko apologised to his fans, saying, “I am sure we will soon carry out a (rescheduled) event in Mannheim.” Reuters reports that Klitschko said in a statement: “I am very sorry for this final cancellation, especially for the fans who have sold out the SAP Arena. “But I am convinced that I will soon stage another fight in Mannheim,” said Klitschko. The 26-year-old Chisora beat Sam Sexton in September to add the Commonwealth heavyweight title to his British crown.
Zimbabwe-born Chisora has fought and won 14 fights, nine through knockout, compared to 34-year-old Klitschko’s 55 wins and three defeats.