According to his website, the American world number one will compete in the year’s third major at St. Andrews in Scotland, having already committed to the June 17-20 U.S. Open and the July 1-4 AT&T National.
Woods, who withdrew from the final round of this month’s Players Championship because of neck pain, has lifted the prized claret jug the last two times the British Open was held at St. Andrews — in 2000 and 2005.
He had also been planning to defend his title at the June 3-6 Memorial tournament in Dublin, Ohio but that event is still up in the air while he continues to heal an inflamed facet joint.
While he gave no hint as to the timing of his return to the PGA Tour, Woods said last week he expected to make a full recovery.
“I now need to take care of this condition and will return to playing golf when I’m physically able,” the 34-year-old said in a statement.
Woods added that the injury would be treated through physical therapy, soft-tissue massage, rest and anti-inflammatory medicine.
The 14-times major winner has played only three events since returning from a self-imposed exile of five months following revelations about his marital infidelities at the end of last year.