Southampton left-back Luke Shaw is a doubt for the clash with reigning Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City.Skipper Vincent Kompany (calf) could also make his comeback as the Blues look to end a run of two successive draws.The fact remains unless City complete another great escape in the Premier League and again overhaul a hefty deficit to Manchester United, they will end up with only the FA Cup to play for, having made zero progress on the European front.Despite having not yet secured a first win in English football, the former Espanyol manager’s team have attracted plaudits from fans and pundits alike.Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson even said Saints were the best team to have visited Old Trafford this season but Pochettino’s side lost on the night – something Lallana knows cannot continue.Skipper Vincent Kompany (calf) could also make his comeback as the Blues look to finish a run of successive draws.The return of the Toure brothers, as well as strengthening the midfield, also eases the pressure on getting Kompany fit for the trip to St Mary.
Manchester City manage to retain the title, their fans might do well to keep in mind to offer up a little Sunday prayer of thanks.It was Nigeria’s little-known 24-year-old Sunday Mba who spectacularly knocked Ivory Coast out of the Africa Cup of Nations this week, sending Yaya Toure back in to the welcoming arms of Manchester City ahead of schedule. They desperately require him if they are to hold on to that Premier League crown.Aguero was inspirational. His equaliser was breathtaking. City fled to take their unbeaten run to eight games. But they are going to must do much better to catch Manchester United and manager Roberto Mancini knows that.Against Liverpool, they looked mentally and physically jaded for long periods. In the event that they intended to interrupt Liverpool’s passing rhythm with a high pressing game, it didn’t work. Where Toure would have yomped forward on probing runs, there was little midfield sparkle. Where his gallops would have inspired movement from Dzeko, the City striker was often leaden-footed after his aim.Gaston Ramirez and Guly do Prado are also possibly out, while Jose Fonte is sidelined. Adam Lallana could make his first start since suffering a knee injury on December 8 and January acquisition Vegard Forren could make his debut.Toure, and sister Kolo, are back at City earlier than expected after Ivory Coast failed to get past the last eight of the African Nations Cup.Manager Roberto Mancini has been reluctant to play Matija Nastasic and Joleon Lescott together and his fears were vindicated as Liverpool gave the pair serious issues in last Sunday 2-2 draw at the Etihad Stadium.
Southampton vs Manchester City Match 2013
Barclays Premier League
Date: 09 February 2013 | 09-02-2013
Venue:St Mary’s Stadium
- Southampton have only won one of their last nine home league matches against Manchester City (W1, D3, L5).
- This is their first meeting on the south coast since a goalless draw in the Premier League in October 2004.
- They have only managed one win in their last nine league games, drawing six of those. They have two points out of a possible nine under manager Mauricio Pochettino.
- The Saints have thrown away 24 points from leading positions this season, more than any other side.
- Southampton have the worst record in the division against teams in the top half of the table, failing to win in 13 attempts (D5, L8).
- Their next three league fixtures after Saturday are all against teams near the bottom: Newcastle (a), QPR (h), Norwch (a).
- Rickie Lambert is the top-scoring Englishman in the Premier League this season with 11 goals. He has scored 99 goals in total for Southampton.
- City are nine points behind Manchester United for the first time since the end of the 2010-11 season.
- The defending champions are on a six-match unbeaten run but have drawn successive games. They last went three consecutive league games without a win in March-April last year.
- Roberto Mancini’s side have the division’s best defensive record and have kept an unrivalled 11 clean sheets.
- However, they have scored 17 fewer league goals than at this stage last season.
- Carlos Tevez has failed to score in his last eight league appearances.
Southampton and Manchester United teams squads players list probables lineups details here.
Southampton Probables Lineups:
K Davis, Gazzaniga, Boruc, Clyne, Richardson, Stephens, Fox, Shaw, Yoshida, Forren, Hooiveld, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Chaplow, Ramirez, Schneiderlin, S Davis, Lallana, do Prado, Puncheon, Lee, Lambert, Rodriguez.
Manchester City Probables Lineups:
Hart, Nielsen, Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Lescott, Kompany, K Toure, Nastastic, Clichy, Milner, Sinclair, Kolarov, Y Toure, Garcia, Barry, Nasri, Silva, Rodwell, Dzeko, Tevez, Aguero.
Manchester City provide a strong game in last few matches they are also excited for win against Southampton.so we will predict that Man City will won the match 2-0.